Thursday, 22 March 2012

Back with a vengeance

GOLD BID: Chong Wei to focus on Olympics

Chong Wei skipped training for the last 10 days and underwent a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan on Tuesday and has resumed his training routine while waiting for a report from National Sports Insitute (NSI) chief executive officer (CEO) Datuk Dr Ramlan Abdul Aziz.

LEE Chong Wei, after the shoulder injury that killed his hat-trick bid in the recent All England, returned to training yesterday and the World No 1 has vowed to be prepared for an Olympic gold medal bid come July.
Dr Ramlan will make a statement on the player's condition today but if indications are anything to go by, Chong Wei will not be sidelined despite the injury he picked up in the All England.

"I was really disappointed for failing to win the All England. It is a new injury and I didn't expect it to happen in an important tournament and that too after having prepared well to win the hat-trick," said Chong Wei at Juara Stadium yesterday.

"I felt a bit tired after the quarter-finals on Friday (March 9) and my right shoulder felt heavy and painful. It got worse but I had to continue playing but I just couldn't push anymore in the final. However, I have several months before the Olympics and I want to be well prepared to battle for the gold in London.

"What happened at the All England has made me stronger. I also feel I may have to change some of my training routine. I will discuss with my coaches (Tey) Seu Bock and Rashid (Sidek) on this.

"I was able to go through training today (yesterday) without pain but I didn't do any smashing. The shoulder feels fine but I need to know first if there is anything serious."

He added: "The Axiata Cup begins on Friday (tomorrow) but I may skip the matches this weekend and probably play in the matches next week. I don't want to take chances.

"What is important is my preparation for the Olympics, I have quality time for my training as I will only play in the India Open (April 24-29), Thomas Cup Finals (May 20-29) and the Indonesia Open (June 12-17). I must focus on my preparations."

Chong Wei may play an additional tournament, the Maybank Malaysia Open grand prix gold in Johor Baru on May 1-6 due to sponsorship obligations but it is not expected to hamper his Olympics preparations.



Read more: NST

No comments: