KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 4 (Bernama) -- Only 29 back up athletes or 'Pelapis' have been listed among the 300 to 400-member Malaysian contingent that would compete in the Laos SEA Games in December.
National Sports Council's (NSC) director for Pelapis, Jefri Ngadirin said from the figures submitted by the National Sports Associations (NSA), only 29 back up athletes have been included.
From the total, 26 are listed under Category A and three under Category B.
"Athletics has listed seven athletes, karate (6), wushu (4), shooting (3), weightlifting (2), badminton (2), cycling (2), boxing (2) and judo (1). Judo has appealed to include two more judokas from the back up squad, under Category B," he told Bernama here on Friday.
He added that the back up athletes selected were from the Cabaran 2010 programme (preparations for the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, India and Asian Games in Guangzhou, China) and the 2012 Road to London programme (London Olympics).
The expenses for athletes listed under Category A would be borne by the Olympic Council of Malaysia (OCM) while expenses incurred for athletes under Category B would have to be borne by their respective associations.
However, if athletes under Category B win a gold or silver medal, the OCM would reimburse their expenses.
Meanwhile, OCM Honorary Secretary Datuk Sieh Kok Chi said the final list of athletes selected for the Laos SEA Games would be released by mid-October, after two more selection committee meetings to be held on Sept 8 and Oct 8.
Chef-de-Mission for Laos, Datuk Dr Ramlan Abdul Aziz had earlier indicated that the Malaysian contingent would comprise of between 300 and 400 athletes who participate in 21 of the 25 sports hosted.