Wednesday, 28 March 2012

Chong Wei may feature in the semi-finals

 
PETALING JAYA: Injured world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei has hinted that he may play in the semi-finals of the US$1mil Axiata Cup tournament this weekend.

Chong Wei injured his shoulder during the All-England earlier this month and was advised by National Sports Institute (NSI) chief executive officer Datuk Dr Ramlan Aziz to rest for at least five weeks.

The 29-year-old Chong Wei, who is in his third week of rehabilitation, heeded his advice and skipped last weekend’s preliminary matches for the Malaysian Tigers.

In his absence, the Tigers crashed to a 2-1 defeat by a second string Indonesia Rajawali and will now face the stronger Indonesia Garuda in the semi-final.

Although not fully fit, Chong Wei said that he is ready to play – pending the doctor’s advice.
“Right now I’m back to my normal routine in training and there is no pain in my shoulder,” said Chong Wei.
“There is a possibility that I might play on Friday because I need to help the team win.

“But I can’t say for certain that I’ll play because I do not want to force myself too much since this is an Olympic year ... anyway it will not be my decision to make.

“I’ll just wait for the next two days to monitor my own condition and it’ll all depend on the doctor’s report.
“Ultimately, the BAM will decide whether I get to play in the semi-finals.”

If Chong Wei is given the green light, it will significantly boost the Tigers’ challenge against Garuda, who look formidable in both singles and doubles.




THE STAR

No comments: