Monday, 14 February 2011

Mohd Adiq wants to compete despite being down with fever

PETALING JAYA: Cyclist Mohd Adiq Hussainie Othman may be down with fever but he is not thinking of bowing out from the Asian Cycling Championships in Korat, just yet.

When news first broke that Adiq, who won a bronze medal in the points race last Thursday, was down with fever, it came a second blow to the national road cycling team who were already reeling from the absence of sprint ace Anuar Manan.

Anuar was also down with fever and did not travel to Korat under doctor’s advice.

But Adiq, who had to pull out from the omnium event on Saturday, is showing signs of recovery after getting medical attention from the National Sports Institute (NSI) officers in Korat.

“I feel a lot better now ... but I needed two bottles of IV (intravenous) drips to get me back on my feet,” said Adiq.

He said that he began feeling feverish right after winning the bronze medal for the points race and “the hot weather in Korat, which ranges from 34°C-40°C at daytime, worsened my condition”.

“The 90-lap points race was held at 2.30pm and it was searing hot that day. My body was just shouting for me to stop.”

Adiq is likely to be back on the track today in the Madison event with Amir Mustafa Rusli and he hopes that everything will go well for him until the 160km road race event on Saturday.

“I’m keen on doing well in the road race because the winner will get an automatic ticket to the 2012 London Olympics,” said Adiq, who is plying his professional trade with Australian continental team Drapac Professional.

“I will give my best although I will probably be just 70% fit for the race because getting an automatic ticket to the Olympics would be like a dream come true.”

Adiq’s hopes of winning the road race may sound like a tall order.
But, with a silver medal to his name in the junior ranks of the road race in the 2009 Asian meet in Indonesia, the Terengganu lad could just pull off the impossible.



The Star -

Monday February 14, 2011

No comments: