SINGAPORE, June 28 (Bernama) -- Malaysia's withdrawal from the Asian Youth Games (AYG) starting here tomorrow because of the Influenza A(H1N1) outbreak has met with understanding from the host.
In a media briefing here today, the AYG Organising Committee co-chairman Oon Jin Teik said they respected Malaysia's decision not to send their contingent for the AYG from tomorrow until July 7.
"We understand their decision and they are doing what they feel is best for their teams," said Oon.
In fact, the Olympic Council of Malaysia had informed the AYG organising committee yesterday evening that Malaysia would not be taking part in the Games except for the two members of the sailing team who are already in Singapore and would continue to participate in their respective events.
"But so far, no national olympic committee have informed us that they will not be sending their teams and the Games will go on as planned," he said.
Malaysia was to have sent a contingent of 109 athletes and officials headed by chef de mission Marina Chin for the AYG until the directive from the Education Ministry which barred students and teachers from participating in overseas sports competition because of the Influenza A(H1N1) outbreak.
But the football team coached by Khalid Shahdan took part in the Games which began a little earlier and was knocked out after the qualifying rounds last week and has since returned home.